Friday, June 22, 2007

In the Garden

So, nothing is happening with our sunroom yet. We haven't heard anything. We probably won't hear anything until either workmen show up unexpectedly or snow falls. I've taken some photos of of our new deck and sunroom materials, sitting in our yard like toads on a log:





The first photo was taken about a week and a half ago, the second yesterday.

Apart from that, things have been springing up and blooming. I haven't been out in the yard much since we didn't want to disturb our bunny, but since he's wandered off to greener pastures (although I'm not sure where he'll find a backyard with more weeds than ours), I took the opportunity to mow the lawn and take some photos.

The nasturtiums I planted in the barrel out back haven't really leafed out yet, but several have started flowering:



The buds are fat on the peony out back:



The lilac bush beside the house is in full bloom. It smells sweet right by the back door, and I have to brush past it on the way out so I'm always shaking a few tiny flowers out of my helmet when I get to work.





A couple of the tomato plants have started to set fruit. The little Tumbler tomato is covered in little green tomatoes:



The Jet Star has grown up tall, but I haven't been very good at pinching back the side shoots, so it's still in flower. It's supposed to be quite a prolific bearer, though:



And just for fun, a before-and-after of our roasted vegetable disaster.

Yummy vegetables:



Look like yummy vegetables, but are barely on this side of edible:



This week, NB and I are planning our vacation. We're not sure where we're going to go yet, but I think we really need a week away from it all. We were talking about going camping, maybe in Waterton Lakes National Park, but that's probably not going to happen because we don't own any camping equipment. And also because bears are scary. It's more likely that we'll hike somewhere just on the other side of the BC border. We've hit Banff or Jasper for a few years now, and it's starting to become difficult to find short hikes we haven't already done in those areas. We've also been talking about putting a bike rack on the car, though, so we'll have to see where that leads, if it actually happens.

5 comments:

Enshie said...

How about considering Vancouver Island for your vacation? No need to attach yourselves to us, you'll be free to spend as little or as much time here as you like. You could use Nanaimo as your home base to go wherever you'd like. You could use one of our vehicles, trains, ferries, buses or bikes to get around, and could come and go as you please. There are so many things to do and see!

Enshie said...

Loved your pictures. It looks like you'll have loads of tomatoes. There are some new pictures posted on our regular picture site. Unfortunately, we didn't have a camera when we saw the slug.

JCW said...

Thanks for the vacation suggestion, but I'm not sure what we'll do yet. I think we're leaning towards the mountains because we really need a rest, and the mountains are nice and quiet and familiar. We'll definitely visit Vancouver Island sometime soon-ish, though!

I'm certainly hoping for loads of tomatoes this year, after the slug fiasco two years ago and a disappointing harvest last year (maybe it was too hot?) I've added worm compost to the Metro Mix, and the plants are bigger and more green than I've ever seen them before. Of course, that might be because we had such a wet spring, too.

It's funny, because I often compost tomato and pepper remnants in the worm bin, so when I use the compost, I end up with dozens of questionable tomato seedlings popping up. I'm thinking of filling seedling pots with the compost next March and starting my own tiny tomato farm. :)

Enshie said...

You could start a whole new breed of worm-blessed tomatoes! What name would you give them?

Speaking of worms, I thought of slugs. We haven't seen any more slugs since the black beauty a while ago. Next time Buddy finds one, I hope we have the camera. We'll send you a picture.

JCW said...

I'm not sure what I'd call worm-compost tomatoes. "Old Wormy" comes to mind, but I don't think people would buy it. :D